Wednesday, February 18, 2009

These Pieces You Left

When I prayed to find love
I never expected to find you.
Nevertheless, you claimed my heart.
I was defenseless; there was nothing I could do.

I told you I was scared
You said - Baby, please don't fear.
No matter what this world may throw at us
I will always and forever be here.

You were the only one I trusted.
Never did I know
That you would abandon me -
Leave me coatless in the cold winter's snow.

Did I love you too much?
Should I have played hard to get?
Or was it all just a game?
Was I some kind of bet?

It was no game for me.
I would have given my world to you.
I didn't ask for much,
Just for you to love me too.

Was it even hard for you
When you walked out and slammed the door?
Did you feel badly at all
When you tore out my heart and threw it on the floor?

If you felt a single ounce of pain
You sure did hide it well.
You were out having fun
While I looked in the mirror and saw only a shell.

You said so many amazing things.
It's my fault, I should have known.
It was far too good to be true.
In the back of my mind, I knew you'd leave me alone.

It's so true what they say.
There is a reason for it all.
You'll never learn to pick yourself up
If you can't survive the painful fall.

Well, I most assuredly fell
And it hurt, but I survived.
I picked myself up, brushed myself off,
Im back on my feet - I am alive.

These pieces you left
When you tore me apart,
They're going to keep on loving;
They'll mend this broken heart.

No comments: