One day I woke up dead.
A unique and surreal feeling, it was.
I opened my eyes, wiped away the night's sleep and peeled back my bedsheets.
I found myself in the same apartment I had woken up in for months.
The only difference was, I seemed invisible to my surroundings.
I greeted my roommate with a smile and a wave, but received no gesture in
return.
I moved on to my bowl of cereal only to realize that for the first time in a long
time, I wasn't hungry.
I didn't need food anymore, I was dead.
Not only physically dead, but spiritually dead, emotionally dead, mentally dead;
numb to any type of feeling.
Nothing made me happy; I forgot what it was like to be sad.
I had no fear, not even that of my current state of death.
It seemed like years since I laughed, but nothing seemed important enough to take
seriously.
What was love? I forgot the meaning.
I had no family, no friends, no life; God had abandoned me in my ambiguity.
So, I had nothing to do; no responsibilities; no passions; no plans.
Where do I go from here?
So, I came back to the only place I ever knew - I came home.
I came home a ghost and found my soul.
I was empty and found fullfilment.
Invisible? I thought I was.
Dead? How could I be anything else?
I saw people from my past, but no one saw me.
I had made my way home to face my death.
I looked in my mirror only to find an empty reflection, devoid of life
Then, one day the tables turned; My destiny was re-written.
One day I met a little girl who saw me.
She was a little angel, small in stature, with eyes as blue as the sky and long
blonde locks that seemed to glow in the sun.
She not only saw me but took me by the hand and, with a lisp asked, "Shoes-
where have you been?"
I was astounded. I didn't understand.
How could someone so angelic see someone so dead?
When she took my hand I felt her fingertips touch mine: a feeling I hadn't had in
so long.
When she looked at me, for the first time, I felt totally and utterly vulnerable: an
idea I had forgotten.
When she spoke my name I felt warmth in my heart and when she acknowledged
my existence I found life in my soul
Who was this little person who seemed to possess so much power?
No one had the ability to restore life once it was lost.
This.....was my lifesaver.
A one year old, two-foot tall, little person saved my life.
I was not dead, I had simply lost myself; I lost myself and she found me.
She reminded me of what this life is for
She taught me how to love again - not the world's love, but a pure, uncorrupted,
untainted love- the love of angels
She taught me how to care, not only for others but for myself
She taught me how to smile and reminded me how to laugh
She illuminated everything that's beautiful in this world
That day was the day I began my life, for I was not dead afterall
I was lost, and with the touch of a hand, a set of blue eyes, and a lispy, 1-year
old voice.....she found me
Not only did she find me, but she saved me.
At the age of one, she became a hero.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment